Wednesday 6 August 2014

Review: Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, published by Penguin on 3rd January 2013

Goodreads synopsis:
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.


Review:
‘Falling Kingdoms’ is the first book in this superb new fantasy series by Morgan Rhodes, the pen name of Michelle Rowen.  I picked this up quite unexpectedly in the library because I thought it sounded quite good.  It is described as the perfect read for fans of Game of Thrones.  I’ve never seen the TV show but I ended up being absolutely hooked on the book and am utterly desperate now to read the rest of the series.
 
The story is epic in scale, traversing three kingdoms: Auranos, Paelsia and Limeros.  A tragic incident at the start of the book sets in motion a series of events which foretell great conflict and war for all of the families involved.    
 
The chapters alternated between each of the kingdoms, encompassing a wide cast of diverse and interesting characters.  These included Princess Cleo and her bodyguard Theon; Magnus and Lucia Damora, the Prince and Princess of Limeros; as well as Jonas Agallon, a resident of Paelsia who is caught between the whims and desires of other more powerful men.  There were a lot of names to remember and I often had to go back and check who someone was but as I became more and more entwined in the action of the plot, I got to grips with all the main players. Also provided was a handy list of characters at the beginning of the book which I found very useful.     
 
This book literally had it all!  Lashings of magic, fantasy, action and adventure made for a gripping and explosive story with plenty of drama and romance.  I loved every second and I was blown away by it, especially considering my expectations were not particularly high at the start.
 
The next instalment is called ‘Rebel Spring’ and it may just be winging it’s way into my Amazon basket as we speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails