Thursday 10 July 2014

#ShareAPuffinBook - The Neverending Story - Michael Ende

This summer Puffin are bringing a series of timeless and unforgettable stories to life for a new generation of readers to discover as A Puffin Book – including Goodnight Mister Tom, Charlotte’s Web, Watership Down and Tarka the Otter. The new editions feature beautiful new cover designs, including iconic cover images and new artwork, as well as additional content, such as material unearthed from the Puffin archive, activities inspired by the books (such as make your own origami Gobbolino the Witch’s Cat!), background information on the story, as well as quizzes, author profiles, fun facts and much more.
I'm pleased to share my favourite story from their launch list of twenty titles.  It wasn't too hard to pick my favourite as soon as I saw 'The Neverending Story' by Michael Ende on the list. 



I first read 'The Neverending Story' when I was twelve, after having seen and fallen in love with the film.  My two best friends and I were hooked on the film and we used to watch it over and over again.  We cried in some places, such as when Atreyu is in the Swamps of Sadness, we laughed in others and we cheered when Bastian finally finds himself in Fantasia, riding on the back of the wonderful Falkor. 

One of the Christmas presents that I found in my stocking that year was a copy of the book.  I think the rest of my presents were forgotten as soon as that book landed in my hands.  I was swept away as I entered the amazing world of Fantasia and joined Bastian on the most incredible adventure of his life.  Michael Ende's writing is truly wonderful and the story is timeless.  Since then I always try to re-read 'The Neverending Story' every other year and I have recommended and implored countless others to read and enjoy it too.

A magical and captivating story, it's one of my all-time favourite books.         

Check out #ShareAPuffinBook to see what others have chosen as their favourite Puffin read. 

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails