Wednesday 17 April 2013

Review: While It Lasts - Abbi Glines

While It Lasts by Abbi Glines, published by Simon and Schuster on 25th April 2013

Goodreads synopsis:
Cage York has a free ride to college for baseball - or he did, until he got in trouble for drink-driving. Now he has to give in to his coach's demands and spend his summer baling hay. No hot babes in bikinis waiting to meet a Southern boy to make her vacation complete. Just him and the damned cows. Oh and an uptight, snarky brunette with the biggest blue eyes he's ever seen.

Eva Brooks planned out her life step by step when she was eight years old. Not once over the years had she lost sight of her goals. Josh Beasley, her next door neighbour, had been the centre of those goals. The moment she'd received the phone call from Josh's mother saying he'd been killed along with four other soldiers just north of Baghdad, Eva's carefully planned life imploded in the worst way possible. Now she has to deal with the arrogant Cage York and his irritating smile.

But as the summer bailing hay rolls by, Cage and Eva learn that what they want (and need) may be something they never saw coming.


Review:
Just when I thought that Abbi Glines's books couldn't get any better, I read 'While It Lasts' and was blown away.  Several days later and I'm still obsessing about it and can't wait to read it again.  I love the fact that it connects up several of the characters from earlier books in the Sea Breeze series, although the focus is mainly on the romance between Cage and Eva.

Unlike a lot of people I don't normally fall for the bad boy in books but I was intrigued from the start by the gorgeous Cage York.  He has a reputation as a ladies man and a womaniser but then he goes and falls for farmer's daughter Eva and everything changes.  There were hints in 'Because of Low' that there could be a softer side to Cage's character but this aspect of his personality is developed much further in the story.  When he discovers real love for the first time, it changes his perspective completely.  He's always had girls throwing themselves at him but now there's only one girl that he wants.  Don't get me wrong, he still likes to talk dirty, flirt and show off his very muscled chest, but as he gradually opens himself up to Eva, a lot is revealed about why he is the way he is.  There's also a warmth about him that is genuinely attractive and I loved the way he is so protective towards Eva.

What I particularly loved about the story was the fact that when I was reading it, I was completely swept away from reality and ended up totally engrossed in the characters' lives.  I enjoy realism in books but sometimes I just want a break from real life and 'While It Lasts' delivered that for me. 

Even steamier than Abbi's previous books, you will need to go and cool off after reading this one.  It certainly left me rather hot and bothered.  Abbi Glines writes such fantastic male characters that you really wish they weren't only fictional!

Next up for me is the fourth title in the series 'Just For Now' which features bad-boy Preston and Marcus's younger sister Amanda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails