Monday 15 October 2012

Review: Vanish - Sophie Jordan

Vanish by Sophie Jordan, published by Oxford University Press in September 2012

Goodreads synopsis:
Jacinda did the unthinkable for love: she betrayed the most closely-guarded secret of her kind. Exposed for what she really is-a descendant of dragons with the ability to shift into human form-she must return to her pride knowing she might never see Will again. Back home, Jacinda is shunned and her sister, Tamra, is the only one she can turn to. But Tamra is experiencing shocking changes of her own ...Jacinda knows she should forget Will, yet she clings to the hope that they'll be together again. So when the chance arrives to follow her heart, will she risk everything?



Review:
*Beware that there may be spoilers from the previous book in the series

I feel like I've been waiting for this book for forever!  I loved 'Firelight', the first instalment in Sophie Jordan's Draki series and I have been itching to read the sequel ever since.  I was very excited when the publication date finally rolled around and I could get my hands on a copy and my nose stuck into the pages of the book. 

It was great being able to catch up with the incredible characters and the amazing world that Jordan has created.  After having seen Jacinda leave the Draki community, 'Vanish' approaches the story from a slightly different angle, showing how she copes with returning to her old home and how she's welcomed back into the community.  She's still torn between her life with the Pride and her ties to her mother and twin sister, as well as knowing that her heart belongs to Will.  Not everyone welcomes her back with open arms and she has to deal with the consequences of many of her actions from earlier in the series.

Jacinda is still my favourite character.  I love all the descriptions of her as a draki and through Jordan's wonderful writing, I could sense her love of flying and the freedom she feels when she's soaring through the air.  There's a definite sense of exhilaration and joy, which is why the threat of having this taken away from her is so terrible.  If she couldn't fly, she'd be half the person she was before.

Cassian also grew on me a lot in 'Vanish'.  I wasn't sure about him previously, but I began to understand him more and the feelings he has for Jacinda.  He cares deeply for her and just like she can't help but love Will, he feels the same about her. 

If I had to level any criticism at the book, it would be that I didn't think the plot moved along quite so much which meant that it felt a little slow in places.  That said, the ending was terrific and I really can't wait for the next one, 'Hidden' which is due out in September 2013.  A year is going to be an awfully long time to wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails